Thousands of starter homes to be built on brownfield land

January 3, 2017 / Isla MacFarlane
Thousands of starter homes to be built on brownfield land

New homes for first-time buyers between 23 and 40 years old at a discount of at least 20% below market value.

2017 will see the first Starter Homes being built on brownfield sites across the country, backed with financial support, Housing Minister Gavin Barwell has said.

They will be built exclusively for first-time buyers between 23 and 40 years old at a discount of at least 20% below market value.

The first wave of 30 local authority partnerships – selected on the basis of their potential for early delivery – will spearhead schemes, according to a government statement.

These partnerships have been established under the government’s £1.2 billion Starter Homes Land Fund which supports the development of starter homes on sites across England.

The first places will begin construction later this year along with sites supported by the Homes and Communities Agency.

“This first wave of partnerships shows the strong local interest to build thousands of starter homes on hundreds of brownfield sites in the coming years,” said Barwell. “One in three councils has expressed an interest to work with us so far.

The Starter Homes Land Fund was set up to prepare suitable land for quality starter home developments which can be built on by developers or through accelerated construction by 2020.

Each local authority partnership will work with the Homes and Communities Agency to identify and take forward further land opportunities for the fund.

The Homes and Communities Agency has also issued a call seeking expressions of interest from local authorities who are interested in using their land to deliver homes at pace through the £1.7 billion accelerated construction recently announced.

Did you like this? Share it: