A survey conducted by the Scheme of over 1300 people working across the industry found that 65% have never been tested for drugs and alcohol, 35% have noticed their colleagues under the influence and 23% said it affected them through decreased attention during work.
The survey revlead:
- 59% have concerns over the effects of drugs and alcohol in construction.
- 65% have never been tested for drugs and alcohol
- 39% admitted the issue of drugs or alcohol could be better tackled in their workplace
- 35% have noticed their colleagues under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- 25% agreed drugs or alcohol affected them at work through tiredness
- 23% agreed it affected them through decreased attention during work
- 19% agreed the affects made them less productive at work
Edward Hardy, Chief Executive of the Considerate Constructors Scheme said, “Maintaining a safe working environment is of the utmost importance for any employer; this not only applies to the workforce, but also the surrounding public and anybody else who may be affected.
“Spotlight on… drugs and alcohol is an essential read for everyone, as the Scheme’s latest industry survey revealed 59% of respondents agree that drugs and alcohol are issues of concern. It is clear action must be taken across the industry to ensure workforce safety, health and wellbeing on sites and in companies throughout the UK.”