Quantity surveyors manage all costs relating to building and civil engineering projects, from the initial calculations to the final figures. They are specialised accountants for the construction industry, aiming to minimise costs and enhance value for money, delivering projects to the required quality and on time. You will need strong financial skills, and the ability to negotiate and develop relationships with suppliers.
Our accredited course is designed for those who want to be the centre of the management of construction procurement process. If you think logically, enjoy using your own initiative, are interested in financial matters, enjoy dealing with people and want to work in and out of the office, then this is the course for you.
Why study this course?
- Benefit from excellent employability prospects: 95% of our BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management sandwich students are in graduate level employment within six months of finishing their studies, earning an average salary of £28,200 (DLHE survey 2016/17).
- Benefit from our Building Blocks financial package, supporting you throughout your time at NTU and enabling you to make the most of your studies. As well as money towards the cost of your course materials, you’ll also benefit from study trips and live projects, included in the cost of your course fees, free personal protective equipment (PPE) and a pre-paid printing allowance.
- NTU is one of the leading providers of property education in the UK. We’re ranked as the 5th university in the UK for Building, Town and Country Planning (Guardian University Guide 2018).
- Our course is accredited by two professional bodies, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) and the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB), recognising the quality and relevance of our course content.
- Gain vital skills and experience in the workplace by undertaking a one-year placement.
- Apply your learning to the real world, with opportunities to take part in site visits and live projects as part of the course.
- Learn from our experienced academic team, staff who have recently joined from industry, and visiting experts. Benefit from our established partnerships with employing organisations.
- Study a course with outstanding student satisfaction; 95% of our BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management sandwich students are satisfied with the quality of their course (National Student Survey, 2017).
- Tailor your studies to your circumstances, with the flexibility to switch between full-time, part-time and sandwich options, to suit your own requirements.
How will I learn?
- You will spend approximately 10 hours per week in scheduled learning. This includes lectures, supported by smaller group sessions including seminars, tutorials, laboratory sessions, and workshops.
- You will also be involved in self-directed project work with the support of NOW, our virtual learning environment.
- Outside of timetabled sessions you will need to undertake self-directed independent study. This will include preparing for lectures, researching, completing coursework, developing a portfolio, and directed reading to expand your knowledge.
What are we looking for?
- A-levels – BBC; or
- BTEC Extended Diploma – DMM; or
- 112 UCAS Tariff points from three A-levels or equivalent qualifications; and
- GCSEs – English and Maths grade C / 4.
The UCAS Tariff
The UCAS Tariff was changed in 2017. In the new Tariff, the numbers awarded to qualifications are very different. So, whereas previously a B at A-level was worth 100 points, in the new tariff it is now 40 points. Sound confusing? Don’t worry. We’ve created this calculator to help you work it out.
If you hold international qualifications, take a look at the alternative qualifications we accept for this course.