Quantity surveyors are highly sought after because they combine financial and business acumen with first-rate technical skills. This degree will put you on the path to senior positions in the construction industry.
- Join a course accredited by the Chartered Institute of Civil Engineering Surveyors
- Gain the ideal preparation for a demanding, responsible and rewarding career as a chartered quantity surveyor
- Develop a broad and sound understanding of the scientific, technological, professional, legal and management skills related to key areas of quantity surveying
- Choose a course designed in close collaboration with employers and aligned to professional practice in the industry
- Take an optional work placement between stages two and three – you will gain valuable experience together with an additional qualification, the Diploma in Professional Practice
- Boost your employability – we are ranked 15th highest among all UK universities and 12th for English institutions, with 96% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree (HESA 2016)
If you are looking for a varied and challenging career, our BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management is a smart choice. We will equip you with all the skills you need to provide clients with value for money while meeting the strict regulations which govern the construction industry.
A dynamic profession
Quantity surveying entails essential skills related to the planning and procurement of construction activity, including involvement in various parts of the design and construction process. It could be advising a client about this month’s valuation or speaking with an engineer to assess the cost implications of a design solution.
Our new BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management programme will help you to develop, enhance and deepen those skills in accordance with latest industry thinking.
Important industry partnerships
Developed in close collaboration with employers, this course is aligned to professional practice in the construction industry. Our strong industrial links will ensure that your studies are technologically relevant and that you acquire all the knowledge and abilities you need to practise as a quantity surveyor.
The course is accredited by the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES).
A rich learning experience
You will learn through group work, individual assignments, lectures, seminars, site visits, field studies and site/building surveys. All these serve a variety of functions essential to the education of built environment professionals.
Assessment of your project work will be undertaken on a continuous basis, involving either individual or group assessment. Assessment of group work may entail an element of peer group review which will contribute to your overall performance.
|September 2018 typical entry requirements|
|UCAS points||96-112 (up to 16 from AS-levels)|
|Specific requirements at A-level||N/A|
|Specific requirements at GCSE||GCSE Maths and English Grade C/Grade 4 (or above) or equivalent qualification|
|Interview / Audition||N/A|
Alternative entry qualifications:
- BTEC – DMM
- Access to HE Diploma 60 credits: 45 at level 3 with a minimum of Dist: 15 Merit: 24 Pass: 6
We usually consider an A-level in General Studies as a supplementary qualification. A good application/performance will be taken into account if you do not meet the criteria/offer conditions.
Our entry requirements for this course should be read together with the University’s general entry requirements, which details subjects we accept, alternative qualifications and what we’re looking for at Derby.
What you will cover?
English language requirements
If English isn’t your first language you will need an English language qualification.